Monroe County is named for James Monroe, who was the fifth President of the United States from 1817 to 1825.
Created: February 23, 1821
Rochester 1821 – present
Old County Courthouse – Rochester
Location: 39 West Main Street / Fitzgerald Street
Built: 1894 – 1896
Style: Italian Renaissance
Architect: J Foster Warner
Contractor: A Friederick & Son
Description: The building faces north and is a four story gray colored New Hampshire granite and marble structure. The west front has three entrances with small iron balcony above. The windows are set in groups of two windows. On the fourth story are arched windows with small columns between with the unblinded wooden statue of “Justice” which was on the dome of the previous courthouse. The roof line is flat.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1822 costing 6,700. The second courthouse was built in 1851 at a cost of $76,000. The cost of construction of the previous courthouse was $881,000.
County Courthouse – Rochester
Location: 99 Exchange Boulevard / Court Street
Built: 1961 – 1964
Architect: Ricci Greene Architects and SWBR Architects
Contractor: Battle Construction Company of Inc. of Victor
Description: The building faces east and is a six story glass and concrete structure. At the southeast corner is a circular glass entrance foyer. The main building is a square building with flat roof line. The building is named as the Hall of Justice. The building houses the Seventh Judicial District Administration.
Fourth Judicial Department – Rochester
Location: 50 East Avenue / Chestnut Street
Built: 1895 – 1896
Style: Commercial / Modern
Architect: James G Cutler
Contractor: James G Cutler
Description: The building faces south and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The southeast corner has a projecting section with entrance on the first story with two columns and large glass arch. The windows are arched. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the M Dolores Denman Courthouse and houses the Fourth Judicial Department of the Appellate Court of the Supreme Court. The building was remodeled from 1997 to 1999. The architect was DeWolff Partnership Architects.
Note: The building was formerly the Cutler Building which was designed and built by James G Cutler who built the structure for his business. Over the years, the building housed the offices of architect Claude Bragdon and the Rochester Boy Scouts.
N – Lake Ontario and Ontario, Canada
E – Wayne County
Photos taken 2010 and 2014