Flathead County is named for the Flathead Native American tribe that lived in the area.
Created: February 6, 1893
Kalispell 1893 – present
Old County Courthouse – Kalispell
Location: 800 South Main Street / 8th Street
Built: 1903 – 1905
Architect: Charles F Bell and John N Kent
Contractor: Hastie & Dougan
Description: The building faces north and is a two story buff colored brick structure. The north front has a projecting center section with a square section rising to a square tower with a steep roof with four small turrets. The base of the building is stone. The roof is sloped. The project was supervised by William Davidson. Materials were supplied by Washington Brick, Lime and Manufacturing Company of Spokane, Washington.
County Justice Center – Kalispell
Location: 920 South Main Street / 9th Street West
Built: 1984 – 1985
Architect: Architects Design Group and Taylor Thon Thompson Peterson AIA
Contractor: Morgen & Oswood Construction Company
Description: The building faces east and is a three story buff colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The east front has recessed glass door on the first story. The second and third stories have glass panels in the center section. The roof line is flat. The old courthouse is located to the north.
N – Alberta, Canada
Photos taken 2009