Lewis and Clark County is named for Meriwether Lewis and William Clark, who were explores who travelled along the Missouri River.
Created: February 2, 1865
Helena 1865 – present
County Courthouse – Helena
Location: 228 East Broadway Street / North Ewing Street
Built: 1886 – 1889
Style: Romanesque Revival
Architect: Hodgson, Willingford & Stem of St. Paul, Minnesota
Contractor: Ryan & Brunton and John J Palmer of St. Paul. Minnesota.
Description: The building faces north and is a three story rough stone structure. The north and south fronts have large arched entrances in the center sections. The exterior walls are Bayfield brownstone from Wisconsin and the interior has granite walls. There is a large courtroom. The Norman Clock tower was removed in 1935 after an earthquake. The tower, fourth-story gables and a heavy stone cornice, adornments of little use during the depression era, were not replaced.
See: Located in the county is the Montana Supreme Court.
N – Teton County
Photos taken 2011