Lincoln County is named for Abraham Lincoln, who was a member of Congress from Illinois ( 1847-1849 and President of the United States ( 1861-1865 ).
Created: March 9, 1909
Libby 1869 – present
County Courthouse – Libby
Location: 512 California Avenue / West 5th Street
Built: 1935 – 1936
Architect: Fred A Brickman
Contractor: T G Rowland of Salt Lake City, Utah
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red and buff colored brick and concrete structure. The old section of the building with buff colored brick is on the west side and the new 1978 section with red colored brick is on the east and north sides. The building has horizontal windows in sections. The entrances are on the northeast and southeast corners. The original building was a Works Project Administration project. The building was remodeled with the addition on the east and north sides constructed in 1977 to 1978 which changed the appearance of the original building. The architect was Eric Hefty & Associates and the contractor was Morgan and Oswood Construction.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by E B Holt and built in 1913. The building was torn down after the present courthouse was constructed. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $67,000.
E – Flathead County
S – Sanders County
Photos taken 2006 and 2009