Audrain County is named for James H Audrain, who was a Missouri state legislator.
Created: December 17, 1836
Mexico 1836 – present
County Courthouse – Mexico
Location: 101 North Jefferson Street / Jackson Street
Built: 1950 – 1951
Architect: Bonsack and Pearce of St. Louis
Contractor: John Epple and Sons of Columbia
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The front has a projecting center section with vertical stone corners and framing the entrance. The base of the building is cement. The back section extends out from the main building. Horizontal white bands run above the second story windows and along the flat roof line.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1837 and the second courthouse was built by Norvell Harison at a cost of $1,600 in 1838 to 1840 with William White as the superintendent, later replaced by M. Walton and the brick work was completed by Judge James E Fenton. The third courthouse was built in 1868 to 1869 at a cost of $43,000 by Terrell and Hays of Macon City with John M Gordon as superintendent, who was later replaced by E P Cunningham. The cost of construction of the present and fourth courthouse was $527,300.
Picture 1869 Courthouse
Photos taken 2005 and 2009