Boone County is named for Nathan Boone, who was the son of Daniel Boone an American pioneer who has founded Boonesborough in Kentucky.
Created: November 16, 1820
Columbia 1821 – present
County Courthouse – Columbia
Location: 10 East 5th Street / Market Street
Built: 1906 – 1907
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: John H Felt
Contractor: J A McCarter of Macon.
Description: The building faces south and is a three story gray colored stone and concrete structure. The south front has a large portico supported by four large columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The center section projects from the main building. A projecting stone cornice runs below the second story windows. A balustrade follows the roof line. On the center of the building rises a round dome with green colored roof. In 1970 to 1972, a rectangular extension was constructed on the north side. The architect was Butler, Rosenbury & Partners of Springfield and the contractor was United HRB Contractors. S M Wilson & Company of St. Louis was the project manager.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1828. The second courthouse was designed by W M Winter and constructed in 1846 under the supervision of William Jewell at a cost of $5,000. The columns of this courthouse aligned with the columns on Academic Hall at the University of Missouri several blocks south. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $100,000.
County Government Center – Columbia
Location: 801 East Walnut Street / North 9th Street
Built: 1993 – 1995
Architect: Leo A Daly
Contractor: Reinhardt Construction Company
Description: The building faces west and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building faces onto a plaza opposite the courthouse. The square building has an extended entrance section on the west side with circular section with green colored dome and glass paneled wall with entrance on the first story. The roof line is flat.
Photos taken 2009