St. Francois County is named for St. Francis of Assisi, who was a Catholic deacon and founder of the Order of Friars Minor known as Franciscans.
Created: December 19, 1821
Farmington 1821 – present
County Courthouse – Farmington
Location: NE – Columbia Street / North Jefferson Street
Built: 1925 – 1927
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Norman B Howard of Bonsack and Pearce of St. Louis
Contractor: McCarthy Construction Company.
Description: The building faces south and is a three story Carthage marble and Bedford limestone structure. The south front has a projecting portico supported by four columns rising to the top of the second story. Above the portico is a three arch section on the third story with clock at the top. Vertical columns adorn the main building and rise to a cornice below the third story windows. The roof line is flat.
County Courthouse Annex – Farmington
Location: 1 West Liberty Street / North Jefferson Street
Built: 2005 – 2007
Architect: Kromm Rikimaru & Johnsen
Contractor: Brockmiller Construction of Farmington
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff brick, concrete and glass structure. Located on landscaped grounds, the building is located on the north side of the courthouse. The south front has a porch with six columns rising to a header. A wide band runs below the flat roof line. A center section rises above the roof line.
Note: The cost of construction was $3,300,000
N – Jefferson County
Photos taken 2009