Monroe County is named for James Monroe, who was the fifth President of the United States from 1817 to 1825.
Created: January 6, 1831
Paris 1831 – present
County Courthouse – Paris
Location: 300 North Main Street / East Monroe Street
Built: 1912 – 1913
Style: Renaissance Revival
Architect: William W Rose and David B Peterson of Kansas City
Contractor: Henning Construction Company
Description: The building faces west and is a three story gray colored Bedford limestone structure. The building is 108 feet by 82 feet. The west front has a recessed first story entrance with two large columns rising from the second story to the top of the third story which has a raised parapet above the roof line. The first story is rusticated stone with smooth stone on the upper stories. There is a wide eave at the roof line. On the center of the building is a dome with red colored roof and clock.
E – Ralls County
S – Audrain County
W – Randolph County
Photos taken 2009