Franklin County

US States / M / Missouri / Franklin County
Franklin

Franklin County is named for Benjamin Franklin, who was a signer of the Declaration of Independence and who lived from 1706 to 1790.

 

Created:  December 11, 1818 

County Seat:

Dundee   1818 – 1826

Newport  1826 – 1827

Union      1827 – present

 

County Courthouse –  Union

 

Location:  300 East Main Street / East Locust Street

Built:  1922 – 1923

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  Bonsack and Pearce of St. Louis

Contractor:  George H Gassman Construction Company

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a three story Carthage and Bedford gray colored stone structure. The building was 90 square feet. The south front has a portico with three arches on the first story and four columns rising from the second story to the top of the third story and with a large header above at the roof line. A similar portico is on the north side.

 

Note:  The first courthouse was built James by McDonald in Newport in 1819 at a cost of $3,700. A temporary courthouse was built by Ambrose Ranson in Union in 1827. The second courthouse was also built in 1827 at a cost of $844.79. The third courthouse was built by Henry H Wright in 1847 to 1849 at a cost of $7,720. A west wing and vaults were begun in 1891 and completed in February 1892 at a cost of $6,604.75. The present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $200,000.

 

County Judicial Center –  Union

 

1464m09

 

Location:  401 East Main Street / Church Street

Built:  2007 – 2008

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Treanor Architects of Kansas City

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces southwest and is a three story red colored brick, stone, concrete and glass structure. The southwest corner has a circular three story concrete tower with glass panel entrance. The rest of the building is faced with red colored brick. The roof line is flat.

 

County Government Center –  Union

 

1467m09

 

Location:  401 East Main Street / Church Street

Built:  2005 – 2006

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Treanor Architects of Kansas City

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces northwest and is a two story red colored brick, stone, concrete and glass structure. The northwest corner has a circular two story concrete tower with glass panel entrance. The rest of the building is faced with red colored brick. The roof line is flat.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Warren County and St, Charles County

E – St. Louis County and Jefferson County

S – Washington County and Crawford County

W – Gasconade County

 

 

 

1459m09

 

 

1460m09

 

 

1461m09

 

 

1462m09

 

 

1463m09

 

 

1465m09

 

 

1466m09

 

 

1468m09

 

 

1469m09

 

 

1470m09

Photos taken 2009