Montgomery County is named for Richard Montgomery, who was a United States general killed in the American Revolutionary War.
Created: December 14, 1818
Pinckney 1819 – 1824
Lewiston 1824 – 1834
Danville 1834 – 1889
Montgomery City 1889 – present
County Courthouse – Montgomery City
Location: 211 East 3rd Street / Wentz Street
Built: 1953 – 1955
Architect: Ernest T Friton
Contractor: Brockmeyer Construction Company of St. Louis
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The south front has vertical divisions between the entrances and windows. The centre section projects from the main building and has vertical concrete dividers with windows between. The roof line is flat.
Note: The first courthouse was built in Lewiston in 1824 by Charles Allen. The second courthouse was built in Danville in 1834. The third courthouse was designed by Gustave Bachman and built by James Getty of St. Louis in 1865 to 1867 at a cost of $27,700. The building burned in 1901. The fourth courthouse was built by R A Sharp, C P Evered, John Evered and August Stanhardt in Montgomery City in 1889 at a cost of $20,000. The cost of construction of the present and fifth courthouse was $400,000.
S – Gasconade County
Cornerstone 1889 Courthouse
Photos taken 2009