Ralls County is named for Daniel Ralls, who was a Missouri legislator.
Created: November 16, 1820
New London 1821 – present
County Courthouse – New London
Location: 311 South Main Street / East 4th Street
Built: 1858 – 1859
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Henry C Wellman and Nathan S Dimmitt
Contractor: Francis Kidwell.
Description: The building faces west and is a two story locally quarried limestone structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The west front of the building has a large portico supported by four large columns rising to a wide pediment at the roof line. The recessed entrance is framed with wood. In 1935, an addition was built on the east side. The architect was Arthur Hogg. This was a Public Works Administration project. The building was renovated in 2006. The architect was Klingner & Associates and the contractor was Cannon General Contractors, Inc.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1822. The second courthouse was built by Samuel Mayhall and Richard S Howard in 1835. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $18,000.
See: The other temple-type courthouses still in use as the official county building is located in Lafayette County.
N – Marion County
S – Audrain County
W – Monroe County
Photos taken 2009