Dade County is named for Francis L Dade, who was a Major in the United States 4th Infantry Regiment during the Second Seminole War.
Created: January 29, 1841
Greenfield 1841 – present
County Courthouse – Greenfield
Location: 300 West Water Street / North Main Street
Built: 1934 – 1935
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Fred C Bonsack and Harvey J Pearce of St. Louis
Contractor: C F Rinehart Construction Company of St. Louis
Description: The building faces east and is a two story gray colored Carthage stone structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city and is 70 feet by 70 feet. The east front and all sides have two inset columns rising to a header at the roof line. A cornice runs below the flat roof line. This was a Works Projects Administration.
Note: The first court met at the home of William Penn. The first courthouse was built by R S Jacobs and Joseph Griggs in Greenfield in 1842 at a cost of $800 to $900. The second courthouse was built by Dozier C Gill in 1850 at a cost of $7,500 and was destroyed on October 6, 1863. The third courthouse was built by Francis M Wilson in 1868 at a cost of $10,000. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $135,000.
N – Cedar County
S – Lawrence County
Photos taken 2009