Randolph County is named for John Randolph, who was a leader in Congress from Virginia and spokesman for the “Old Republican”.
Created: January 2, 1829
Huntsville 1829 – present
County Courthouse – Huntsville
Location: 110 South Main Street / East Depot Street
Built: 1883 – 1884
Style: Renaissance Revival
Architect: James McGrath of St. Louis
Contractor: J M Hammett and W T Rutherford and Company
Description: The building faces west and is a one story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The building is 104 feet by 46 feet. The west front has three large arches with the center arch containing the entrance. There are extensions on the north and south sides. The roof line is flat. In 1937, the building was remodeled under the Work Projects Administration.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed by henry Austin in 1858. The building was enlarged in 1877. The architect was C B Clarke and the contractor was Sandison & Murray. The building burned in 1882.
N – Macon County
W – Chariton County
Photos taken 2009