Oscoda County is named for the Native American word “ossin” meaning “pebble” and from “mushcoda” meaning “large prairie” and has the meaning “pebbly prairie”.
Created: April 1, 1840
Union Corners 1881 – 1882
Mio 1882 – present
Former County Courthouse – Mio
Location: 301 Morenci Avenue / East 11th Street
Built: 1888 – 1889
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Pratt and Keoppe of Bay City
Contractor: George Hunter
Description: The building faced west and was a two story white colored wood structure. The building was located on spacious grounds. The building had a wood porch on the front. Above the entrance is a square wood tower. Two wings were added in 1908. The building was destroyed by fire on May 6, 2016.
Note: The cost of construction of the courthouse was $3,794.80. the wings were constructed in 1908 at a cost of $1,692.14.
County Courthouse Annex – Mio
Location: 105 South Court Street / East 9th Street
Built: 1919 – 1920
Description: The building faces west and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building has a projecting entrance on the west side. The building was a schoolhouse until 1962. The building was renovated in 1884 and 1995 for use as the courthouse annex.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
E – Alcona County
S – Ogemaw County
W – Crawford County