Gladwin County is named for Henry Gladwin, who was an English Commandant at Detroit during the Pontiac’s War.
Created: March 1, 1831
Gladwin 1875 – present
County Courthouse – Gladwin
Location: 401 West Cedar Avenue / South Bowery Avenue
Built: 1939 – 1940
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Frederick D Madison of Royal Oak
Contractor: Charles C Engelhardt Construction Company
Description: The building faces north and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The base of the building is concrete with the etched names of the county towns. Concrete blocks run along the roof line. The roof line is flat. The lobby has a decorative ceiling and floor depicting a Native American chief in profile. In 1976 an addition was built on the south side.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed by Fred Hollister in 1876 to 1878 for a cost of $17,000. The building was razed when the present courthouse was constructed.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
N – Roscommon County
S – Midland County
W – Clare County
Photos taken 2008