Ogemaw County is named for the Ogemaw Indian tribe who resided in the region, and “ogimaa” is an Ojibwe word meaning “chief” or “leader”.
Created: April 1, 1840
West Branch 1875 – present
County Courthouse – West Branch
Location: 406 West Houghton Avenue / North 8th Street
Built: 1974 – 1975
Architect: Stephen T Gerganoff of Ypsilanti
Contractor: Gust Construction Company of Cedar Springs
Description: The building faces north and is a two story buff colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building has vertical glass windows with a large glass area on the east side of the north front where the entrance is located. A wide concrete band follows the roof line with brick extending in places to the roof line. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the Ogemaw County Building.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Pratt & Koeppe and constructed by Glanfield & Sims in 1888. The cost of construction of the courthouse and jail was $14,999.25. The cost of the present courthouse was over $2,000,000.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
N – Oscoda County
E – Iosco County
W – Roscommon County
Photos taken 2008