Cass County

US States / H-L / Illinois / Cass County
Cass

Cass County is named for General Lewis Cass, who was a United States Senator and Vice President under Presidents Adams and Jackson.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Schuyler County and Mason County

E – Menard County and Sangamon County

S – Morgan County

W – Brown County and Schuyler County 

 

Created:  March 3, 1837                                                             Map of Illinois highlighting Cass County

County Seat:

Virginia          1839 – 1843

Beardstown  1843 – 1872

Virginia         1872 – present

 

County Courthouse – Virginia

 

Location:  100 East Springfield Street / South Main Street

Built:  1872 – 1874

Style:  Georgian

Architect:  Jacob Dunaway and the citizens of Virginia

Contractor:  Pierce & Jobst of Peoria

 

Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Virginia. The south front has a wide one story portico on the first story. The windows are narrow and arched. White colored stone trim decorates the windows and corners of the building. The roof is mansard style. There is an older wing on the east side and a newer wing on the west side with flat roof. The courtroom is located on the second story. Two additions were built in 1891 on the east and west sides. An addition was built in 1913 on the east side. In 1939 the west wing was enlarged. The contractor was Wessell and Sons. In 2011 to 2012, the building was remodeled. The contractor was Laverdiere Construction Inc. of Macomb.

 

Note: Jacob Dunaway developed a plan to build a new city hall and then turn it over to the county for the purpose of stealing the county seat from Beardstown. He was assisted by the citizens of Virginia including T J Kemper and Butler, Sandmyer and Company. The contract for construction was awarded in 1872 before the vote to move the county seat and the plan succeeded.

 

Old County Courthouse – Beardstown

 

0010t12

 

Location:  101 West Third Street / State Street

Built:  1843 – 1844

Style:  Federal

Architect:  Thomas Beard

Contractor:  B W Schneider

 

Description: The building faces northwest and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds opposite the Town Square in the center of Beardstown. The rectangular shaped building has a central entrance with white colored trim on the northwest front. The windows have white colored trim. The roof is hipped. The old courtroom is located on the second story. The building was used as a courthouse until 1872. The architect was Thomas Beard and the contractor was B W Schneider. The building is now the Old Lincoln Courthouse Museum.

 

History:  The county was created in 1837 and Virginia was selected as the county seat in 1839. The first courthouse was a two story structure built in 1838 to 1839 by Dr. Henry H Hall. The county seat was moved to Beardstown in 1843. The second courthouse was constructed in 1843 to 1844. In 1872, the county seat was moved back to Virginia. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1872 to 1874 at a cost of $20,000.

 

 

0310k07

County Courthouse – Virginia

 

 

0312k07

 

 

276i12

 

 

280i12

 

 

281i12

 

 

0013t12

Old County Courthouse – Beardstown

 

 

0011t12

 

 

0012t12

 

 

0014t12

 

 

0016t12

 

 

0017t12

Photos taken 2007 and 2012