Howell County is named for James Howell, who was a pioneer and settler, or for Thomas J Howell, who was another settler.
Created: March 2, 1857
West Plains 1857 – present
County Courthouse – West Plains
Location: 4 Courthouse Square / Main Street
Built: 1935 – 1937
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Earl Hawkins of Springfield
Contractor: L H Britton.
Description: The building faces west and is a three story gray colored Carthage stone and concrete structure. The building is 82 feet square. The west front has a central entrance on the first story. The second and third story windows are a single vertical section. The roof line is flat. This was a Work Projects Administration project.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1859. The second courthouse was built by T E Britton in 1869 at a cost of approximately $1,200. The third courthouse was designed by Henry H. Hohenschild and was constructed by G W Goodlander of Fort Scott, Kansas in 1883 to 1884 at a cost of $16,600. The building was razed in 1933. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $107,000.
N – Texas County
S – Fulton County, Arkansas
Photos taken 2009