Morgan County is named for Daniel Morgan, who was a general who earned distinction during the American Revolution at Quebec and Saratoga.
Created: January 31, 1823
Olmstead’s Mounds 1821 – 1825
Jacksonville 1825 – present
County Courthouse – Jacksonville
Location: 300 West State Street / North West Street
Built: 1868 – 1870
Style: French Renaissance
Architect: Gordon P Randall of Chicago
Contractor: C R Underwood
Description: The building faces south and is a two story rough buff stone structure. The south front has wide steps leading up to three arched entrances with recessed doorway in the centre. Above the arches is a double window on the second story with single arched windows on either side. Above that is the date 1868 with rounded roof. On the southeast and southwest corners are two large towers, with the southwest tower rising three stories to a steep mansard red roof. The building is constructed of stone with every third tier running through the entire wall. The exterior stone came from the quarries of Joliet. The building was restored in 2009. The architect was White & Borgognoni of St. Louis, Missouri and the contractor was Evans-Mason Inc. of Springfield.
N – Cass County
E – Sangamon County
Photos taken 2007 and 2012