Calhoun County

US States / H-L / Illinois / Calhoun County
Calhoun

Calhoun County is named for John C Calhoun, who was a southern statesman and Vice Present of the United States.

 

Created:  January 10, 1825

County Seat:

Gilead       1825 – 1847

Hamburg   1847

Hardin       1847 – present

 

County Courthouse – Hardin

 

Location:  101 North Country Road / Main Street

Built:  1847 – 1848

Style:  Federal

Architect:  William D Hamilton

Contractor:  William D Hamilton

 

Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick structure. The southwest section is two stories with a small portico on the north side. The main entrance is on the west side of the east wing which has a small red colored brick tower with sloped roof and descending roof to the north to the peak of the east section. On the northwest is an open courthouse square. A two story addition was added on the south side in 1978 to 1979. The architect was V Hanner & Associates Architects Inc. of Wood River and the contractor was Jersey County Construction. On the north side is the old stone Jail.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Pike County

E – Greene County and Jersey County

S – St. Charles County, Missouri

W – St. Charles County, Missouri, Lincoln County, Missouri and Pike County, Missouri

 

 

 

1542k07

 

 

313i12

 

 

316i12

 

 

1543k07

Photos taken 2007 and 2012