Pike County

US States / H-L / Illinois / Pike County
Pike

Pike County is named for Zebulon M Pike, who was a general in the war of 1812 and an American explorer.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Adams County and Brown County

E – Morgan CountyScott County and Greene County

S – Calhoun County and Pike County, Missouri

W – Pike County, Missouri, Ralls County, Missouri and Marion County, Missouri

 

Created:  January 31, 1821                                                        Map of Illinois highlighting Pike County

County Seat:

Coles Gove ( Gilead ) 1821 – 1824

Atlas                            1824 – 1833

Pittsfield                      1833 – present

 

County Courthouse – Pittsfield

 

Location:  100 East Washington Street / North Monroe Street

Built:  1894 – 1895

Style:  Romanesque

Architect:  Henry Elliott

Contractor:  Robert Franklin

 

Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff colored course stone structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Pittsfield. The entrances have wide stone steps leading up to an arched stone portico with balustrade balcony above. The roof rises in peaks at the corners and above the entrances the stonework is flat along the top. In the building center is an octagonal high cupola with steep red colored roof and smaller white cupola at the top. 

 

See:  The architect Henry Elliott of Chicago also designed courthouses in Edgar CountyGreene County and Jersey County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1821 and Coles Gove ( Gilead ) was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a log structure erected by Daniel Shinn in 1821 at a cost of $32. In 1823, the county seat was moved to Atlas. The second courthouse was also a log structure erected in 1824. In 1826, the county used rented premises. The third courthouse was erected in 1829 at a cost of $1,800. In 1833, the county seat was moved to Pittsfield and the fourth courthouse was a wood structure erected in 1833 near the public square. The fifth courthouse was built by Benjamin Osborn in 1836 to 1839 at a cost of $15,000. The sixth and present courthouse was constructed in 1894 to 1895.

 

 

1573k07

County Courthouse – Pittsfield

 

 

1572k07

 

 

1574k07

Photos taken 2007