Costilla County is named for the Costilla River which is named for the Spanish word “Costilla” which means “little rib or furring timber”.
Created: November 1, 1861
San Luis 1861 – present
County Courthouse – San Luis
Location: 304 Main Street / Gaspar Street
Architect: John Farrington, Samuel Tucker and others
Contractor: John Farrington, Samuel Tucker and others
Description: The building faces west and is a one story stone and concrete structure. The west front has a recessed entrance in the center, On the center of the roof is a square wood cupola with green roof. The roof is sloped. The building was renovated in 2008. The architect was Gifford Spurch and Associates and Albert Moore & Associates and the contractor was Crocker Limited and Upscale Builders, Inc.
N – Huerfano County
Photos taken 2011