Huerfano County is named for the Huerfano River and the Spanish name means “orphan”.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
Created: November 1, 1861
Autobees Plaza 1861 – 1867
Badito 1867 – 1874
Walsenburg 1874 – present
County Courthouse – Walsenburg
Location: 401 Main Street / West 5th Street
Built: 1904 – 1905
Architect: C A Henderson
Contractor: Friedhoff and Hoeffel of Pueblo
Description: The building faces east and is a two story gray colored stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Walsenburg. The building is a “T” shape with a raised basement. There is a large square tower on the east front with a steep black colored pyramidal roof. On the east front is a portico supported by two stone columns and on top of the portico is a balcony. Above is an ornamented semi-circle On the second story there are arched windows. The building houses the District Court and County Court of the 3rd Judicial District. On the west side is the two story stone County Jail.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Huerfano County Courthouse
Note: In 1861, Huerfano County was one of the 17 original counties
History: The county was created in 1861 and Autobees Plaza was designated as the county seat. The county seat was moved to Badito. In 1874, the county seat was moved to Walsenburg. The county used rented premises. The first and present courthouse was constructed in 1904 to 1905 at a cost of $35,000.
County Courthouse - Walsenburg
Photos taken 2007