Rio Grande County is named for the Rio Grande which flows through the area.
Created: February 10, 1874
Del Norte 1874 – present
County Courthouse – Del Norte
Location: 925 6th Street / Cherry Street
Built: 1948 – 1949
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Walter A Simon
Contractor: Louis F Tourman and Glenn Watson
Description: The building faces north and is a three story dark gray colored stone Classical Revival structure. The sides and rear of the building are buff colored brick. The center section rises above the projecting east and west wings. The architect was Walter A Simon and the contractor was Louis F Tourman and Glenn Watson. The engineer was August Zanoni.
County Administration – Del Norte
Location: 965 6th Street / Penscot Street
Built: 1996 – 1997
Architect: DLR / Lescher and Mahoney
Contractor: Francis Contractors, Inc.
Description: The building faces north and is a one story white colored stucco structure. The building is located on the east side of the courthouse. The north front has a central portico at the entrance supported by two pillars. A wide porch extends along the front of the building. The hipped roof is red colored. The building is named as the Rio Grande County Annex.
North – Saguache County
East – Alamosa County
West – Mineral County
Photos taken 2011