Taos County

US States / N / New Mexico / Taos County
1498NM16

Taos County is named after the ancient Indian Pueblo which the Spanish explorers found when they arrived in the area in the 16th century.


Created:  January 9, 1852 

County Seat:

Taos  1852 – present

 

County Courthouse – Taos  

 

Location:   105 Albright Street / Passeo Del Pueblo Sur

Built:  2009 – 2011

Style:   Modern

Architect:  AECOM

Contractor:  H B Construction of Albuquerque

 

Description: The building faces west and is are a complex of two story yellow colored stucco structures. The complex is located on spacious grounds and is a complex of three two story structures.  At the center is the Courthpouse, on the south is the Administration Building and on the north is the Detention Building. The Courthouse has a white colored on story portico. The interior has a high central atrium. The buildings are named as the Taos County Administrative, Detention and Judicial Complex. 

 

Former County Courthouse – Taos  

 

x2_0

 

Location:   105 Albright Street / Passeo Del Pueblo Sur

Built:  1978 – 1979

Style:   Modern

Architect:  H R Benson, W A Mingenbach and A C Sanchez

Contractor:  La Mesa Builders, Inc.

 

Description: The building faces east and are a complex of one to two story yellow colored stucco structures. The Court House is located in the southwest area and has a straight wall design with yellow colored stucco walls, brown colored trim and large glass windows on the second story. Walkways and trees are between the buildings. The buildings were demolished.

 

Old County Courthouse – Taos  

 

1465nm16

 

Location:   104 North Plaza / camino de Santa Fe

Built:  1931 – 1932

Style:   Spanish-Pueblo

Architect:  Louis G Hesselden

Contractor:  L H Bovis

 

Description: The building faces south and is a two story cream yellow colored stucco and wood structure. The building is located on the north side of the Taos Plaza. The south front has a recessed porch on the first story with central entrance. Below the roof line are logs which project from the building. The roof line is flat. This was a Works Progress Administration project. The building contains murals depicting social justice and were commissioned by the Works Progress Administration for the courtroom on the second floor. The murals were done by Emil Bisttram. On the first story is the old jail.

 

Note:  The previous courthouse was built in 1839 on the plaza. The building was destroyed by fire on May 9, 1932

 

Courthouses:

N – Conejos County, Colorado and Costilla County, Colorado

E – Colfax County and Mora County

S – Mora County and Rio Arriba County

W – Rio Arriba County

 

 

 

1496nm16

 

 

1495nm16

 

 

1497nm16

 

 

1500nm16

 

 

1504nm16

 

 

1506nm16

 

 

1510nm16

 

 

1509nm16

 

 

1511nm16

 

 

1515nm16

 

 

1516nm16

 

 

1494nm16

 

 

0987nm07

 

 

0989nm07

 

 

0988nm07

 

 

0986nm07

 

 

1466nm16

 

 

1467nm16

 

 

1468nm16

 

 

1469nm16

 

 

1471nm16

 

 

1474nm16

 

 

1475nm16

 

 

1476nm16

 

 

1477nm16

 

 

1478nm16

 

 

1479nm16

 

 

1481nm16

Photos taken 2007 and 2016