Colfax County was named for Schuyler Colfax, who was Vice President of the United States when the county was created.
Created: January 25, 1869
Elizabethtown 1869 – 1872
Cimarron 1872 – 1882
Springer 1882 – 1897
Raton 1897 – present
County Courthouse – Raton
Location: 230 North 3rd Street / Clark Avenue
Built: 1936 – 1937
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Towne & Funk and R W Vorhees
Contractor: W Frank Little Construction Company
Description: The building faces east and is a five story light colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The east front had white stone around the entrance arch. Area ranch cattle brands decorate the area above the entrance. Embellishments include glazed tile cornices, bas-reliefs depicting local farming, mining & cattle raising. The fifth story is recessed. The roof line has white stone trim and there is a chipped-tile roof on top story and flat roofs on lower areas. The interior has Terrazzo floors and tile wainscoating. The building was a Works Progress Administration project.
Note: The first courthouse was built in Cimarron in 1870. The next courthouse was built in Springer in 1881. The previous courthouse was designed by Rapp and constructed by Morris Contracting & Manufacturing Company in 1898 in Raton.
County Justice Center – Raton
Location: 1413 South 2nd Street / Kearney Street
Built: 2008 – 2010
Architect: Rohde May Keller McNamara Architecture
Contractor: Michael S Rich Contractors, Inc.
Description: The building faces west and is a two story black colored concrete and glass structure. The building is rectangular with the entrance on the south side with a large canopy on the west and a sloped roof atop columns on the east. Beside the entrance is a high black colored section rising above the roof line. The building is named as the Leon Karelitz Judicial Center.
Old County Courthouse – Springer
Location: 614 Maxwell Avenue / 6th Street
Built: 1881 – 1882
Style: Second Empire
Architect: R M Vorhees
Contractor: Local labor and trades
Description: The building faces west and is a two story white colored brick and wood frame structure. The building faces east and was completed in 1882. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The west front has a three story tower with central entrance on the first story. The roof is hipped. The foundation is exposed stone. The rear has a small brick extension which served as the jail. The building now houses a museum devoted to the Santa Fe Trail..
Note: The cost of construction was $15,000.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Colfax County Courthouse – Springer
E – Union County
W – Taos County
Photos taken 2007 and 2016