Alamosa County is named for the cottonwood trees which grow along the Rio Grande as “alamosa” is the Spanish word for a “cottonwood grove”.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Saguache County
S – Conejos County
Created: March 8, 1913
Alamosa 1913 – present
County Courthouse – Alamosa
Location: 702 4th Street / San Juan Avenue
Built: 1936 – 1938
Style: Spanish Mission Revival
Architect: George C Emery
Contractor: Works Project Administration and local labor
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is in the form of a “U” with the south wing joining the east and west wings. There is a courtyard in the center. Along the courtyard are enclosed walkways with arches facing the courtyard. The red colored title roof is hipped. The building is a Works Project Administration project using local labour. Taves & Son did the electrical work. In the southwest corner is the old jail which is rectangular building. The buildings were renovated from 1978 to 1981.
Note: During construction, the bricks were produced at a rebuilt kiln north of the city. Geoege Hettler, who was the foreman for the kiln, died in January 1937. The County contributed $31,149 and the PWA contributed $39,713 towards the cost of construction.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Alamosa County Courthouse
Architect: Reilly Johnson Architecture
Contractor: GH Phipps Construction Company
County Office Building – Alamosa
Location: SE – 4th Street / Edison Avenue
Built: 1974 – 1975
Architect: Charles Gathers and Associates, Inc.
Contractor: Kiechel Construction, Inc.
Description: The building faces east and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The east front has a glass paneled entrance. The roof line is flat. The building is located on the west side of he courthouse.
County Courthouse -
Photos taken 2011