Las Animas County is named for the Animas River which in Spanish is “Rio de las Animas Perdidas” which means “River of the Souls in Purgatory”.
Created: February 9, 1866
Trinidad 1866 – present
County Courthouse – Trinidad
Location: 200 East 1st Street / Maple Street
Built: 1912 – 1913
Architect: Issac Hamilton Rapp and William Mason Rapp of Rapp Brothers and William Hendricks
Contractor: W G Rapp
Description: The building faces north and is a three story light colored stone structure. The building has columns on each side rising from the second story to the top of the third story. Along the second story, there is arched stonework above each window. The north and west entrances project from the building. Along the roof is a stone balustrade.
Note: The previous courthouse was built in 1881.
E – Baca County
W – Costillia County
Photos taken 2007 and 2016