Red River County is named for the Red River of the South which was named for the red color of the clay in the water.
Created: December 14, 1837
Madras 1837 – 1838
Clarksville 1838 – present
County Courthouse – Clarksville
Location: 400 North Walnut Street / East Madison Street
Built: 1883 – 1884
Style: Renaissance Revival and Second Empire
Architect: William H Wilson
Contractor: P C Livingston of Monroe, Louisiana
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff colored stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The building has arched narrow windows on the first story and second story with round windows above. There is a wide cornice at the roof line. On the center of the roof is a large square cupola with clock and smaller cupola at the top. The building was restored in 2002. On the second story is a large courtroom. On the west side is a separate annex designed by Glenn Brothers and built in 1910.
Note: The first courthouse was built in Jonesboro in 1830 before the county was created. The second courthouse was a frame structure built by Gilbert Clark in Madras in 1840. The third courthouse was a brick structure built by Yarborough in Clarksville in 1850. The fourth and present courthouse cost #55,423.
E – Bowie County
Photos taken 2010 and 2019