Bowie County

US States / O-U / Texas / Bowie County
Bowie

Bowie County is named for James Bowie, who was a legendary knife fighter and who died at the Battle of the Alamo in 1836.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – McCurtain County, Oklahoma and Little River County, Arkansas

E – Miller County, Arkansas

S – Cass County and Morris County

W – Red River County

 

Created:  December 17, 1840                Map of Texas highlighting Bowie County

County Seat: 

DeKalb           1840 – 1841

Old Boston     1841 – 1887

Texarkana       1887 – 1891

Boston            1891 – 1985

New Boston    1985 – present

 

County Courthouse – New Boston

 

Location:  710 James Bowie Drive / Sam Houston Street

Built:  1984 – 1985

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Thomas-Emberton Associates Inc. of Texarkana

Contractor:  T A Pritchard Company.

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of New Boston. The north front has large columns supporting an overhanging roof. The central entrance is recessed with glass walls entering into a large lobby. The windows are horizontal. The columns continue along the east and west sides of the building. The roof line is flat. In the interior, the entrance lobby rises two stories with a grand staircase on the south side. The courtrooms are located along the south side of the second story. The building houses the State District Court, Constitutional County Court and County Court at Large. 

 

History:  The county was created in 1840 and DeKalb was selected as the county seat. The county seat was moved to Old Boston in 1841. The first courthouse was a brick structure built in 1841. In 1887, the county seat was moved to Texarkana. The second courthouse was built in 1887. In 1891, the county seat was moved to Boston. The third courthouse was a three story brick structure designed and built by Sommerfeld & Emmins and constructed in 1889 to 1891. The building was destroyed by arson in 1989. The old jail built in 1891 still stands on Court House Square. In 1985, the county seat was moved to New Boston and the fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1984 to 1985.

 

Old County Jail – Boston

 

301t19

 

Location:  South Merrill Street / West Walters Boulevard

Built:  1890 – 1891

Style:  Jail

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a three story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on the old Courthouse Square in the center of Boston. The building is the remaining structure when the old courthouse burned in 1989.

 

Other Courthouses

 

Texarkana  ( Sixth Court of Appeals )

 

 

1043t10

County Courthouse – New Boston

 

 

1044t10

 

 

1045t10

 

 

1046t10

 

 

1047t10

 

 

1048t10

 

 

1051t10

Statue of James Bowie

 

 

1050t10

 

 

294t19

 

 

296t19

 

 

297t19

 

 

298t19

 

 

299t19

Picture 1891 County Courthouse in Boston

 

 

300t19  

 

 

305t19

Old County Jail – Boston

 

 

302t19

 

 

306t19

Photos taken 2010, 2017 and 2019