Delta County is named for the triangular shape of the county which is like the Greek letter Delta.
Created: July 29, 1870
Cooper 1870 – present
County Courthouse – Cooper
Location: 200 West Dallas Avenue / NW 2nd Street
Built: 1939 – 1940
Architect: Hoke Smith of Dallas
Contractor: Hoke Smith of Dallas ( Supervisor – Works Project Administration )
Description: The building faces south and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the town. The south front has a high rectangular portico with recessed entrance on the first story and rising to the roof line. The base of the building has horizontal stone. The roof line is flat. The courtroom is located on the east side of the second story. Local trades were hired under the Works Project Administration. The exterior was restored in 1977. The contractors were Reid Construction Company and Wisebaker, Fix & Associates.
Note: The first courthouse was a two story frame structure designed by R C Andrews and E Blackwell in 1881. The second courthouse was a three story brick and stone structure designed and constructed by Yaylor & Sanquinet in 1900. The third and present courthouse was constructed under the supervision of Hoke Smith of Dallas. Clawer Sullivan supplied the sand and the chief stone mason was George P Simon.
E – Franklin County
S – Hopkins County
Commissioner Minutes – Architect
Photos taken 2010, 2017 and 2019