Choctaw County

US States / O-U / Oklahoma / Choctaw County
Choctaw

Choctaw County is named for the Choctaw Native American people who resided in the region.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Atoka County and Pushmataha County

E – McCutain County

S – Red River County, Texas and Lamar County, Texas

W – Bryan County

 

Created:  July 16, 1907                          Map of Oklahoma highlighting Choctaw County

County Seat:

Hugo 1901 – present

 

County Courthouse – Hugo

 

Location:  300 East Duke Street / Church Street

Built:  1911 – 1912

Style:  Neo-Classical

Architect:  C E Hair and Company

Contractor:  Donathan & Moore

 

Description: The building faces north and is a four story pink colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Hugo. The first story has horizontal stone with the main entrance at the center of the north front. The rest of the building is faced with pink colored brick with stone trim at the corners. The roof line is flat. The courtroom is located on the west side of the second story. The building houses the County District Court of the 17th Judicial District. The building was remodeled in 1964. The architect was Joe I Davis and Company and the contractor was A E Gibson.

 

See:  The atchitect, C E Hair also designed courthouses in Jackson CountyOkmulgee County and Osage County.

 

See:  The contractor, Donathan & Moore, constructed courthouses in Osage County and Washita County.

 

See:  The 17th Judicial District includes McCutain County and Pushmataha County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1907 and Hugo was selected as the county seat. The county used rented premises until the first and present courthouse was constructed in 1911 to 1912.

 

 

0999t10

County Courthouse – Hugo

 

 

1001t10

 

 

1002t10

 

 

1007t10

 

 

1008t10

 

 

1003t10

 

 

1004t10

 

 

1006t10

 

 

1005t10

 

 

1012t10

Fort Towson Historic Site

 

 

1015t10

 

 

1019t10

 

 

1021t10

Photos taken 2010