Franklin County is named for Benjamin Franklin, who was a signer of the Declaration of Independence and who lived from 1706 to 1790.
Created: March 6, 1875
Mount Vernon 1875 – present
County Courthouse – Mount Vernon
Location: 200 Kaufman Street North / Dallas Street East
Built: 1911 – 1912
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: L L Thurmon & Company of Dallas
Contractor: L R Wright & Company of Dallas
Description: The building faces south and is a two story white colored brick and limestone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The south side has a portico supported by four large columns with pediment above. On the west side is a larger portico supported by six large columns with pediment above. The building has decorative white colored brick molding. On the center of the roof is a dome with clock at the top. There is a pressed metal ceiling in the courtroom.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1875. The second and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $42,000.
N – Red River County
S – Wood County
Photos taken 2010