McCurtain County is named for the McCurtain family who resided in the Choctaw region.
Created: July 16, 1907
Idabel 1907 – present
County Courthouse – Idabel
Location: 108 North Central Avenue / 1st Street SE
Built: 1963 – 1964
Architect: Huggins, Thompson, Ball & Associates of Tulsa
Contractor: Gill Construction Company of Oklahoma City
Description: The building faces southwest and is a two story light red colored brick and concrete structure. The center section is the highest part of the building and has an overhanging roof. The entrance on the west is one story with a concrete canopy. The north and south wings are one story. The windows are horizontal and run below the concrete band along the flat roof line.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Jewell Hicks and constructed by Manhattan Construction Company in 1920.
Photos taken 2010