Cass County is named for Lewis Cass, who a senator from Michigan, who favored the annexation of Texas to the United States.
Created: April 25, 1846
Jefferson 1846 – 1852
Linden 1852 – present
County Courthouse – Linden
Location: 100 East Houston Street / South Main Street
Built: 1859 – 1861
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Judge Charles Ames
Contractor: J Thomas Veal and L W Lisenbee.
Description: The building faces north and is a three story yellow colored brick, limestone and concrete structure. The building is located on the landscaped grounds of Courthouse Square in the center of the city. The north front has a large portico supported by four high columns with pediment at the roof line. The east and west wings are recessed. The third story windows are small. In 1905, an addition was constructed. The contractor was B H Singletary. In 1917, the building was remodeled to the Classical Revival style. The architect was Stewart Moore and the engineer was Fred Halsey. An addition was constructed on the west side in 1980.The building is being renovated in 2010 to 2012. The architect is ARCHITEXAS Architectural Planning and Historical Preservation Inc. and the contractor is RBR Construction Inc.
Note: The first county seat was Jefferson in 1846. When the county seat was moved to Linden in 1852, the first courthouse in Linden was a two story wood frame structure built on Courthouse Square in 1853 to 1854. The second and present courthouse was a two-story Greek Revival style building made of locally fired brick ( painted Spanish brown ) with a hipped roof and a central, square drum with a small cupola on top. It retained this appearance until 1905 when a twenty foot addition was built onto the east side and the brick was painted Venetian red. In 1908, a tornado swept through Linden damaging the town and the courthouse, destroying the building’s cupola. The courthouse was repaired and a Queen-Anne style cupola was added to the building the following year. In May of 1933, a fire destroyed the porticoes and the roof over the centrally located courtroom. Repairs were completed in 1934 with an extended third story over the courtroom with a concrete and steel truss to stabilize the building. Around 1940, the exterior of the building was painted white.
Note: The courthouse is the oldest courthouse in Texas which is still in use. The second oldest courthouse is located in Kendall County (1871) and the third oldest courthouse is in Lampasas County (1883).
County Criminal Justice Center – Linden
Location: 227 East Rush Street / Church Street
Built: 1975 – 1976
Architect: Moore Thomas & Emberton
Contractor: Triad Contractors, Inc.
Description: The building faces south and is a one story brown colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city to the east of the courthouse.The south front has a large porch with vertical brick pillars and recessed glass wall. A wide band runs along the flat roof line. On the west side is the three story jail.
County Administration – Linden
Location: 119 North Kauffman Street / East Rush Street
Built: 1938 – 1939
Architect: Witt & Halsey
Contractor: J J Hardy & W J Hardy
Description: The building faces west and is a two story buff colored brick structure. The building is located in the center of the city on the east side of the courthouse. The west front has a stone framed entrance and second story window, A horizontal belt runs above the second story windows. The roof line is flat.
N – Bowie County
S – Marion County
W – Morris County
Courthouse Restoration 2010
County Courthouse Annex
County Criminal Justice Center
Photos taken 2010 and 2017