Titus County is named for Andrew Jackson Titus, who was a state legislator and planter.
Created: May 11, 1846
Mount Pleasant 1846 – present
County Courthouse – Mount Pleasant
Location: 100 West 1st Street / North Jefferson Avenue
Built: 1895 – 1897
Architect: F B Hull and W S Hull
Contractor: J A Wilson & Company
Description: The building faces west and is a four story cream colored stucco structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The building was constructed in sections with the center section rising to the fourth story. The roof line is flat. The building was remodeled in 1940. The contractor was O L Crigler Construction. The building was remodeled and enclosed in 1961 and 1962. The architect was Louis B Gohmert of Mount Pleasant and the contractor was Newman Construction of Atlanta, Texas. The building was renovated in 1991 returning the building to the 1940 style. The architect was Kent Harris of Eubanks-Harris of Tyler and the contractor was Clark Construction Company of Clarksville.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1846. The second courthouse was two story frame structure built in 1851. The third courthouse was a two story brick structure built in 1859. The building collapsed in 1867. The fourth courthouse was a two story brick structure built in 1860 and burned in 1896 after the fifth courthouse was constructed in 1895. The sixth and present courthouse is a remodel of the fifth courthouse.
County Courthouse Annex – Mount Pleasant
Location: 101 West 1st Street / North Jefferson Avenue
Description: The building faces south and is a one story concrete and glass structure. The roof line is flat. The building is located in the center of the city on the north side of the courthouse. Built as the Guarantee Bank, the building was remodeled in 1990. The architect was Eubanks-Harris of Tyler and the contractor was WL Construction. The cost to purchase the building was $300,000.
N – Red River County
E – Morris County
S – Camp County
W – Franklin County
County Courthouse Annex
Photos taken 2010