Jackson County is named for Andrew Jackson, who was the President of the United States from 1829 to 1837.
Created: November 6, 1801
Fount Blount 1801 – 1807
Williamsburg 1807 – 1819
Gainesboro 1819 – present
County Courthouse – Gainesboro
Location: 101 East Hull Avenue / Union Street
Built: 1927 – 1928
Style: Modern Art Deco
Architect: Tisdale, Pinson & Stone of Nashville
Description: The building faces east and is a three story buff brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The east front has a central recessed entrance with double columns on either side and balcony on the second story. Two pilasters rise from the second story to the top of the third story. The west side is similar. The base of the building is course stone. Narrow horizontal belts run above the first story and the third story. On the center of the roof is a square cupola with clock and green colored roof.
See: The architect, Tisdale, Pinson & Stone of Nashville, also designed the courthouse in Hickman County.
Note: The first court met at the home of John Brown in 1801. The first courthouse was built in Williamsburg in 1807 and the second courthouse was built in Gainesboro in 1820. The courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1872. The third courthouse was built in 1873. The cost of construction of the present courthouse in 1927 was $56,832.
N – Clay County
Photos taken 2014 and 2018