Clay County is named for Henry Clay, who was Speaker of the United States House of Representatives.
Created: June 24, 1870
Butler’s Landing 1870 – 1871
Celina 1871 – present
Old County Courthouse – Celina
Location: 139 East Lake Avenue / Main Street
Built: 1872 – 1874
Architect: D L Dow of Cookeville.
Contractor: D L Dow of Cookeville.
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building stands in Courthouse Square in the center of the town. The south front has a central arched entrance with large arched window on the second story. On the center of the roof is a square white colored wood cupola with steep roof. The roof is hipped. The courtroom is located on the second story. The courtroom is located on the second story.
Note: During the construction of the courthouse, David Buchanan, F M Buchanan and W C Garrett were the carpenters who assisted D L Dow. The building was completed at a cost of $9,999.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Clay County Courthouse
County Courthouse – Celina
Location: 143 Cordell Hull Drive
Built: 1972 – 1973
Description: The building faces southeast and is a one story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the town to the nortwest of the old courthouse. The building is a senior citizens residence with the county offices and courtroom on the southwest side. The roof line is flat.
W – Macon County
Old County Courthouse
Photos taken 2014 and 2018