Smith County

US States / O-U / Tennessee / Smith County
Smith

Smith County is named for Daniel Smith, who was an officer during the American Revolutionary War and a United States Senator.

 

Created:  October 26, 1799

County Seat: 

Carthage  1799 – present

 

Old County Courthouse – Carthage  

 

Location:  211 Main Street North / 3rd Avenue West

Built:  1877 – 1879

Style:  Second Empire

Architect:  E P Turner

Contractor:  Henry C Jackson

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a three story red-brown colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The east front has a projecting center section with large arched window on the second story and pediment above. The building has a mansard roof. On the center of the roof is a square high cupola with mansard roof. The building is presently being renovated in 2012.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Smith County Courthouse

 

Note:  The first court met at the home of Captain Tilman Dixon in Dixon Springs in 1799. The first courthouse was constructed in 1805 in Carthage..

 

County Courthouse – Carthage  

 

1081t12

 

Location:  122 Turner High Circle / 1st Avenue

Built:  Unknown

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a one story red colored brick structure. The building has a high center section with curved roof. On the west side there is a low one story section with white colored siding and with the main entrance towards the north end. The building sits on a low hill.

 

Old County Courthouse – Dixon Springs

 

Location:  Highgate Drive

Built:  1788 – 1789

Style:  Italianate

Architect:  Captain Tilman Dixon

Contractor:  Captain Tilman Dixon

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story log and buff colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the town. The building has eight rooms. The center section has a two story white colored wood porch. Wings were added on either side of the center section. The building was named as Dixona and served as the first courthouse in 1799.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Tilaman Dixon House ( Dixona )

 

Courthouses: 

N – Trousdale County and Macon County

E – Jackson County and Putnam County

S – DeKalb County

W – Wilson County and Trousdale County

 

 

 

1069t12

Old County Courthouse

 

 

1070t12

 

 

1071t12

 

 

1073t12

 

 

2145t18

County Courthouse

 

 

2141t18

 

 

2143t18

 

 

2144t18

Photos taken 2012 and 2018