Wilson County is named for David Wilson, who was a member of the legislatures of North Carolina and the Southwest Territory.
Created: October 26, 1799
Lebanon 1799 – present
County Courthouse – Lebanon
Location: 228 East Main Street / Cherry Street
Built: 1965 – 1966
Architect: Morton-Carter and Associates of Nashville
Contractor: Richard E Hunt Construction Company
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The north front has a projecting center section with clock in the center. On either side are vertical windows and on the outside sections are red colored brick. The roof line is flat.
Note: The first court met at the home of Captain John Harpole. The first courthouse was a log structure built in 1803. The second courthouse was a two story brick structure built by William Seawell in 1811 in the center of the Public Square. The third courthouse was designed by William Strickland and constructed on the south side of the Public Square in 1848. The courthouse burned in 1881. The fourth courthouse was designed by J F Bowers & Brothers and constructed by Smith & Rome in 1882 to 1884 at a cost of $17,000. The building was enlarged in 1936 to 1937 and remodeled in 1948. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $1,200,000.
County Judicial Center – Lebanon
Location: 134 South College Street / Gay Street
Built: 2002 – 2004
Architect: Kaatz, Binkley, Jones and Morris Architects, Inc.
Contractor: Steed Brothers Contractors LLP.
Description: The building faces east and is a two story gray colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city to the south of the courthouse and has several sections with north and south projection with a two story portico supported by four columns rising to pediments at the roof line on the south side and a one story portico supported by four columns rising to a pediment on the north side. The center section is recessed with a one story portico supported by four columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The roof line is flat.
Picture 1882 Courthouse
County Judicial Center
Photos taken 2012, 2014 and 2018