Macon County is named for Nathaniel Macon, who was a United States Senator.
Created: January 18, 1842
Lafayette 1842 – present
County Courthouse – Lafayette
Location: Public Square / Main Street
Built: 1932 – 1933
Style: Moderne and Art Deco
Architect: George D Waller
Contractor: L E Tate & Son of Nashville and Florence, Alabama
Description: The building faces southwest and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on the landscaped grounds of the Public Square in the center of the city. The southwest front has a slightly projecting center section with entrance on the first story and double windows above on the second story. A horizontal belt runs above the second story windows. On the northwest side is a one story addition. The roof line is flat. The building was renovated in 1972. The architect was Clemmons & Gingles and the contractor was Howard A Smith. The building houses the county administration since the Judicial Center was constructed in 2002.
Note: Previous courthouses were built in 1844, 1861 and 1901.
See: The contractor L E Tate & Son of Nashville and Florence, Alabama also constructed the courthouse in Decatur County.
W – Sumner County
Photos taken 2014