Washington County is named for George Washington, who was the first President of the United States from 1789 to 1797.
Created: March 28, 1781
Washington 1781 – present
County Courthouse – Washington
Location: 1 South Main Street / West Beau Street
Built: 1898 – 1900
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: F J Osterling of Pittsburgh
Contractor: William Miller & Sons of Pittsburgh
Description: The building faces east and is a three story buff colored limestone structure. The east front has a large semicircular portico supported by four columns and with a balcony on the third story. The north and south sides have columned porches. On the center of the roof is a white colored large dome with statue of George Washington at the top.
S – Greene County
Photos taken 2011