Marshall County is named for John Marshall, who was Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court.
Created: March 12, 1835
Elizabethtown 1835 – 1865
Moundsville 1865 – present
County Courthouse – Moundsville
Location: 600 7th Street / Tomlinson Avenue
Built: 1875 – 1876
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Charles C Kemble of Wheeling
Contractor: W W McCoy
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The south front has a large portico with four columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. On the roff behind ther pediment is a small square white cupola. The central entrance is arched. The windows are vertical and arched. There is an east wing. The roof line is flat. The building was renovated and enlarged in 1974. The architect was A C Lenander-Crooks & George and the contractor was Engstrom & Wynn, Inc.
County Magistrates Court Building – Moundsville
Location: 511 6th Street / Lafayette Avenue
Built: 1998 – 1999
Description: The building faces north and is a one story red colored brick structure. The roof line is flat.
N – Ohio County
S – Wetzel County
Photos taken 2011