Greene County

US States / O-U / Pennsylvania / Greene County
Greene

Greene County is named for Nathanael Greene, who was a general in the American Revolutionary War.

 

Created:  February 9, 1796

County Seat:

Waynesburg  1796 – present

 

County Courthouse – Waynesburg  

 

Location:  93 East High Street / Washington Street

Built:  1850 – 1851

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  Samuel Bryan and John Bryan of Uniontown

Contractor:  Samuel Bryan and John Bryan of Uniontown

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick structure. The north front has a large porch with six white colored columns rising to a pediment. The entrance is framed with white colored wood. On the roof is a tall octagonal cupola with silver colored dome and statue of a native American at the top. An addition was added along the south side in 1880 to form a “T” shape. These additions were replaced with a building constructed in 1988.

 

See:  The plans of the Fayette County Courthouse in Uniontown were used.

 

Old County Courthouse – Waynesburg  

 

Location:  144 Greene Street / Woods Street

Built:  1796

Style:  Federal

Architect:  George Graham and George Ullom

Contractor:  George Graham and George Ullom

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story log structure. The building now houses the Genealogical  Society.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Washington County

E – Fayette County

S – Monongalia County, West Virginia and Wetzel County, West Virginia

W – Wetzel County, West Virginia and Marshall County, West Virginia

 

 

 

1119t11

 

 

1120t11

 

 

1122t11

 

 

1125t11

 

 

1127t11

Photos taken 2011