Fayette County is named for Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de La Fayette, who was a French general and politician and who fought in the American Revolutionary War.
Created: September 26, 1783
Uniontown 1783 – present
County Courthouse – Uniontown
Location: 61 East Main Street / Court Street
Built: 1890 – 1892
Architect: E M Butz & William Kauffman
Contractor: Laughead, Modiset & Company
Description: The building faces west and is a three story rough stone structure. The west front has a high square stone clock tower with steep roof at the top. There are towers on the northwest and southwest corners. On the south, west and north sides there is a gable roof line. The roof is sloped. The building was renovated from 1902 to 1903. The contractor was Jno. D Carr. On the north side is the Romanesque stone jail which is connected to the courthouse by a second story stone bridge.
County Administration – Uniontown
Location: 61 East Main Street / Moran Lane
Built: 1927 – 1928
Architect: Emil R Johnson and Clarence F Wilson
Contractor: Engston & Wynn.
Description: The building faces south and is a four story buff stone structure. The building is attached to the courthouse on the west side.
E – Somerset County
Photos taken 2011