Ohio County

US States / V-Z / West Virginia / Ohio County
Ohio

Ohio County is named for the Ohio River which river was named for the Iroquois word meaning “beautiful river”.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Brooke County 

E – Washington County, Pennsylvania

S – Marshall County

W – Belmont County, Ohio and Jefferson County, Ohio

 

Created:  October 7, 1776                      Map of West Virginia highlighting Ohio County

County Seat: 

West Liberty  1777 – 1797

Wheeling       1797 – present

 

County Courthouse – Wheeling     

 

Location:  1500 Chapline Street / 15th Street

Built:  1859 – 1960

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Frederic H Faris, Jr.

Contractor:  Albert T Luchheti

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a six story and two story orange-buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of Wheeling. The north section is a rectangular structure with a recessed sixth story. The west side has a concrete portico at the entrance. The south section is two stories and has a concrete portico at the south entrance. The roof line is flat. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 1st Judicial Circuit, County Magistrate Court and County Family Court. The building also serves as the Wheeling City Hall. 

  

Note:  The fourth county courthouse constructed in 1875 to 1876 was constructed in the hope of becoming the West Virginia State Capitol.

 

Old County Courthouse – West Liberty     

 

Location:  1400 VanMeter Way / Washington Street

Built:  1779

Style:  Federal

Architect:  Abraham VanMeter

Contractor:  Abraham VanMeter

 

Description:  The building faces east and is is a two story wood frame structure. The The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of West Liberty. The building adjoins a building on the south side. The roof is hipped. 

 

History:  The county was created in 1876 and West Liberty was selected as the county seat in 1777. The first county meeting was held in the cabin of Adam Black. The first courthouse was built by Abraham VanMeter in 1779 opposite Black’s cabin. The next courthouse was to have been built by Samuel Beck in the 1790’s under the supervision of Andrew Archibald and Isaac Meek, but was not completed due to corruption. The county seat was moved to Wheeling in 1797 and the court met in an inn owned by John Gooding. The second courthouse was a two story stone block structure built in 1798 on 10th Street between Main Street and Market Street. The third courthouse was built in 1839 on the southeast corner of 12th Street and Chapline Street. The courthouse was later torn down in 1900. The fourth courthouse was designed by J S Fairfield and constructed by A H Sheppard in 1875 to 1876. The courthouse was renovated in 1886. The architect was Charles P Hamilton and the contractor was Kieves Kraft & Company. The courthouse was demolished in 1956 and replaced by the fifth and present courthouse was constructed in 1958 to 1960.

 

 

1158t11

County Courthouse – Wheeling

 

 

1156t11

 

 

1154t11

 

 

1155t11

 

 

1159t11

 

 

1152t11

Photos taken 2011