Pontotoc County is named for a Chicksaw Native American word meaning “cat tails” or “the prairie”.
Created: July 16, 1907
Ada 1907 – present
County Courthouse – Ada
Location: 120 West 13th Street / Broadway Avenue
Built: 1926 – 1927
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Butler Company of Oklahoma City
Contractor: The Chickner Construction Company of Hutchison, Kansas
Description: The building faces south and is a four story gray colored stone structure. The first story has horizontal stonework with central entrances on each side. A wide cornice runs between the first and second stories. Vertical pillars divide the windows on the second and third stories. A wide cornice runs below the flat roof line.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Pontotoc County Courthouse
S – Johnston County
Photos taken 2010