Johnston County is named for Douglas H Johnston, who was a Governor of the Chickasaw Nation.
Created: July 16, 1907
Tishomingo 1895 – present
County Courthouse – Tishomingo
Location: 403 West Main Street / North Capitol Avenue
Built: 1992 – 1993
Architect: Badgett & Coover-Clark of Oklahoma City
Contractor: K J McNitt Construction Company of Oklahoma City.
Description: The building faces southwest and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The southwest front has a recessed centre section rising to a peak at the roof line, The windows are small with horizontal windows in the center of the second story. The roof line is flat.
Old County Courthouse – Tishomingo
Location: 411 West 9th Street / North Capitol Avenue
Built: 1896 – 1897
Style: Gothic Victorian
Architect: J A Shannon
Contractor: Sparrow Construction
Description: The building faces south and is a two story brown colored stone structure. The southwest front has a projecting center section with large arch on the first story with recessed entrance. On either side of the center section the building rises to two peaked dormers at the roof line. On the center of the roof is a square white colored cupola with dome at the top. The roof is hipped.
Note: This building once served as the Chickasaw National Capitol when it was originally built. The building was designed to overlook the town on a grand hill . In 1910, Johnston County purchased the structure for $15,000 and it served as the county courthouse until 1992 when the Chickasaw Nation bought in back for $575,000. Johnston County finished its current courthouse, down the hill from this one in 1993. Because this courthouse was built in 1896, this is one of the oldest structures in the state that has served as a county courthouse.
Photos taken 2010