Murray County is named for William Henry David “Alfalfa Bill” Murray, who was the ninth Governor of the State of Oklahoma.
Created: July 16, 1907
Sulphur 1907 – present
County Courthouse – Sulphur
Location: 1001 West Wyandotte Avenue / West 10th Street
Built: 1923 – 1924
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Jewell Hicks
Contractor: W L Scott
Description: The building faces north and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building sits on a slight rise. The north front facade incorporates four concrete Tuscan columns and a series of brickwork arches above the central doorway and ground story windows. The central section of the front facade, delineated by the columns, is slightly recessed. Two large concrete urns accent shall niches, one on either side of the front door. The arch above the new metal and glass front door features a patterned keystone and a parquet pattern of brickwork within the arch. The concrete frieze is inscribed, “MURRAY COUNTY COURT HOUSE.” Above the frieze is a projecting cornice, which is surmounted by a balustrade parapet. Four decorative concrete torches highlight the parapet, one above each of the four columns of the entranceway. The roof line is flat. The building was remodeled in 1991. The architect was Rob Barrett of Ardmore and the contractor was Fenix Constructors, Inc. of Ardmore.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Murray County Courthouse
Photos taken 2010