McClain County

US States / O-U / Oklahoma / McClain County
McClain

McClain County is named for Charles M McClain, who was at the constitutional convention.

 

Created:  July 16, 1907

County Seat:

Purcell  1907 – present

 

County Courthouse – Purcell 

 

Location:  121 North 2nd Avenue / West Washington Street

Built:  1927

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  Hawk & Parr

Contractor:  Cowen Brothers

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a three story brown colored brick and concrete structure. Each side of the building has ornamentation consisting of a central facade of four pairs of fluted pilasters framing three window bays on the second and third stories. These pilasters support a stone cornice and frieze which extends only to the outermost pilasters. The frieze of the north front facade is inscribed, “MCCLAIN COUNTY.” The entranceways are centered on the ground level on each of the four sides of the building and are slightly recessed and framed with white stone slabs, A series of round, white colored medallions decorate the building above the windows of the ground floor. Windows are multi-pained. A partial attic story constructed of shaped, reinforced concrete slabs houses the jail. The building has a flat roof line.  An addition was added on the west side in 1994.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – McClain County Courthouse

 

Courthouses: 

N – Cleveland County

E – Cleveland County, Pottawatomie County and Pontotoc County

S – Garvin County

W – Grady County

 

 

 

 

1412t09

 

 

1414t09

 

 

1415t09

 

 

1416t09

 

1418t09

 

 

1419t09

 

 

1417t09_0

 

 

1421t09

Photos taken 2009